City of Calgary – Grass Regulations

Grass regulations

Animal and Bylaw Services

Lawn maintenance is regulated by the Community Standards Bylaw 5M2004 PDF File (68 KB) sections 45-46. This is an overview of these regulations. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk’s office.

Overview of the Community Standards Bylaw

  • Grass must be less than 6 inches (15 cm) tall.
  • This is not intended to prevent or discourage xeriscaping (low water use gardening practices).
  • You are responsible for caring for and maintaining your lawn and those lawns adjacent to your property (e.g. boulevards) and up to the middle of the alley and the middle of the street.

Making a complaint

Fines for violations of these regulations are $300. To report a bylaw violation please:

  • Call 3-1-1 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary.
  • Contact us

About mywentworth

The Wentworth Residents' Association was formed in 2005 with the objective of ensuring the betterment of Wentworth through the management of neighbourhood enhancements such as flowerbeds, entrance treatments, and extra landscaping and maintenance of city boulevards, medians and parks.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to City of Calgary – Grass Regulations

  1. Lee Schiefner says:

    The grass on the meridian on 9th Ave by Coop is longer than 6 inches. Just thought you should know as it violates the city bylaw.

    • mywentworth says:

      Thank you for your comment. The median located on 9th Avenue between the Co-op shopping area and the Shopper’s Drug Mart shopping area is not maintained by the Wentworth Resident’s Association. It is under the maintenance of the City of Calgary. Concerns related to its maintenance should be directed to 311. We are in regular communication with the City and know that they are currently running about 3-4 weeks behind schedule due to weather and ground conditions.

  2. doug anderson says:

    call 311 and let them know

    • Lee Schiefner says:

      I could, but the $300 fine would likely come out of our Residents Association funds. I would rather they spend the $$$ cleaning it up and maybe planting some flowers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s